Author Topic: THIS IS TRANSCRIPTION ESSENTIALS: ONE MEMBER'S EXPERIENCE  (Read 17287 times)

Offline Iliketotype

• Empress Emeritus
  • Superhero
  • Hate is not a family value.
  • Liked:
THIS IS TRANSCRIPTION ESSENTIALS: ONE MEMBER'S EXPERIENCE
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »
This post expresses eloquently the whole purpose of Transcription Essentials.  We think this is so important that we are putting it here for you to read to understand what we are all about.

I’m feeling blessed and grateful to be an independent contractor for CAS Associates! This represents my first reputable contract – that is, one that meets the TE standard of pay and professionalism. To other newbies, like me, please stay encouraged.

Although TE is NOT a job board, I learned about this opportunity right here on TE. As a mid-life career changer, I must admit that I arrogantly submitted my resume “as is” in the beginning of my search for transcription contracts. My focus instead was on creating a customized cover letter. However, I was not getting responses from reputable companies. That’s because I was basically asking prospective employers/contracts to read between the lines of the work experience highlighted on my resume and pull out those transferable skills that would apply to transcription work.

Duh on my part! I wanted prospective contracts to do what I should have already done. :argh:

After taking a deep breath and reading the many posts on this forum, I ate some humble pie. I reworked my resume to include an objective along the lines of this: business writer transitioning from a successful career in communications to independent transcription. More importantly, my new resume highlighted anything relevant to transcription: typing speed; proficiency in English, grammar and punctuation; availability to do same-day turnaround; experience (although not extensive, but it still counts) with audio files with multiple speakers, accents and background noise; and so forth. It also now includes the transcription-related equipment and software I have, just as TE advises.

My new resume generated a positive response from what would eventually become my new contract – after testing and vetting. Now … I … cannot … stop … cheesing!  :D :D :D

Thank you so much for this wonderful forum! TE is like a union of worker rights advocates and mentors, especially the way Alba and Barb and so many others ponce on ANYTHING that reeks of less-than-professional treatment of transcriptionists. On cloudy days, Elliria always brings the sunshine. And on those days I felt nervous and dispirited, the following thread was deeply encouraging, particularly the posts by JenVose and Jennie Ann: http://www.transcriptionessentials.com/index.php?topic=27327.0

I still have a way to go in transitioning to a full-time career in transcription, but I believe in the power of momentum. Things are turning around! They can for others who keep believing and learning and testing.

:thanks:  :carrot: :banana3: :pineapple:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal